Friday, January 11, 2013

Tutorial: Hey Hey, Ombre!

Tutorial: Ombre Hair


I had been contemplating a drastic hair change for months, but just couldn't muster up the courage. After looking through Pinterest for what felt like hours admiring the beautiful cascades of ombre curls I took the plunge.

My friends, I colored my hair and chocolate to caramel ombre is what I got. I love it!

This was thankfully easy to do, and will be VERY easy to maintain as the color is at my ends and not my roots.

If going from dark roots to lighter ends is what you are itching for you'll need:

- A box of the lightest blonde available in your favorite color brand*

- Large hair clips

- Rat-tail comb

- Old shirt you don't mind ruining

- 8 to 10 medium sized pieces of foil **


Style your hair as you normally would when wearing it down, this way the color will hit where you want it. Seperate your hair where the part is with the point of the rat-tail comb, then seperate those two sections into two more section using a horizontal line going from the front to the back of your head. 
Use your clip to tie up the upper section. If you have bangs and they need to be pinned back because of length and you wish to color them, make sure to pin them on their own. Please make sure that no hair is falling over from the top, we are getting ready to color.  Now that your hair is ready, mix your color. Go ahead, I'll wait.



8 minutes later....
Now that you are ready and want to just throw the color on make sure you have your gloves on and your foil is close by. Look at your hair and decide how much length you want to color. Remember, the way to measure is from the ends, not the roots. (I did roughly 4 inches.) Grab your hair and apply the color to the desired area, making sure to FULLY saturate the hair. Once satisfied with amount, wrap in foil. Go ahead and do that to the rest of your sections. MAKE SURE to only do one section at a time starting from the bottom of your head.

15 minutes later....

Hooray! I'm proud of you for making it this far. Now set your timer and check your progress ever 10 to 15 minutes. I had to wait 40 minutes before I was happy with the color. I kept checking the first section I did, considering that it was saturated the longest, just in case the color was turning Orange.

Once happy, rinse, shampoo and condition! If you are like me and have black brown hair. You won't see much of a difference when wet, just wait until you dry and style! 



Your make up will look different and you may even be inspired to try new make-up trends. I would recommend Ox-blood lips, its still winter.



Let me know how it turns out. If you tried a different approach make sure to share.

* (I am not specifying a brand because all store bought brands are great and its more of a preference than an actual performance issue. I used Garnier because of the added oil, no other reason)

** About twice the size of your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog! It means a lot. If you have a blog, leave us the URL and we will check it out and probably even follow you! But please don't spam!
Thanks!