Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Legend, Live: Loretta Lynn


As some of you may know, I had the amazing opportunity to attend a Loretta Lynn concert this past Saturday with my Mother and Sister. It was a little bit of a dream come true for me. I will go on about the concert and such in a minute, but I think it's important you know a little about me first!

I have grown up around music. There have always been tunes incorporated into every aspect of my existence. All family gatherings, and just everyday life. When I was younger, my Dad (a truck driver) would wake me up most Saturday mornings with very loud records (yes, actual vinyl) booming through the house. If not that, then my Mother would be playing her favorite CD's while cooking breakfast, or picking up around the house. 

It began as an annoyance to me, I was a young girl then and only wanted to sleep and live in my room. I didn't care anything about Fleetwhoever, or Willie Nobody. I certainly didn't want to two-step to Zydeco tunes or bang my head to "Gimmie Shelter".

As I started getting older, I was able to sit down with my parents and talk to them about music and why they loved it. They shared songs with me like stories and I saw how music touched them, even if they didn't see it themselves. I tried my left-hand at the guitar, to no avail. I even got pretty serious with the piano (my favorite instrument) and can still bang out a pretty tune. I sang steadily in school choir for 6 or 7 years, and now sing to my son about everything.

Now that I am older, I cannot suffer through any task, as mundane as laundry or exciting as gardening without music to guide me. I may not like all music, but I was given an amazing gift, appreciation. I am able to listen to music and appreciate the different parts that make each song unique. For this, I will be forever grateful.

I do not consider myself a fan of new-age country music. I do, however, soak up Patsy Cline (my favorite singer), Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and, the star of this entry, Loretta Lynn. I enjoy this era of country music fiercely and often feel a little pinch of sadness whenever I realize some of my favorite musical stars are passed and I won't be able to experience them live.

This is why I jumped at the chance to see Loretta Lynn. Let me tell you, it was an experience I wont soon be forgetting.

Now, onto the concert details...



Opening for Loretta was the very talented, Holly Williams

She is the daughter of Hank Williams Jr, and continues to bring pride to her family name with her raspy, soulful voice. She came onto the stage with 2 others, one guitar and one bass player. The feel was intimate and simple. 

She opened with her song Drinkin' (which I will embed below) and the rest of her set only improved from there. I highly suggest her new album, "The Highway".



 I was lucky enough to get a picture with her! 


From there, Loretta Lynn's twin daughters took the stage and sang a few songs. The band was 6 men, all dressed in their Sunday best, it really added to the entire element of the concert. Then, the legend took the stage in a gorgeous pink sequin dress similar to this...


(photo courtesy of: Country Weekly)

It was everything I had imagined yet unexpected all in the same breath. I felt for a moment I had been transplanted to the Grand Ol' Opry. She came on, feisty and funny. She has retained every bit of her beauty and talent, even after 50 years of performing. 

I was an experience I will forever treasure. I was able to see a legend, get exposed to a new artist in a genre i'm not too familiar with, and relive some memories while creating new ones with my Mother and Sister.

I didn't blog about the outfit, because I didn't want to detract from the rest of the entry, but will do a "What She Wore" about it soon.

I hope you enjoyed this entry and got to learn a little about me in the process. 

Let me know what you thought, or if you have any questions or stories you'd like to share! I'd love to hear from you!

-Jessica




1 comment:

  1. What fun! Going to live music is always a treat and even better when it feels intimate.
    I'm listening to the Holly Williams song you embedded and I bet she was fantastic live.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog! It means a lot. If you have a blog, leave us the URL and we will check it out and probably even follow you! But please don't spam!
Thanks!